BSc Biochemistry: course, best institutes, career options after BSc Biochemistry are given here in detail. The analysis of the chemical process in living organisms is referred as biochemistry. It elucidates the structure and functioning of cellular constituents like lipids, nucleic acids and proteins etc.
The major difference between normal chemistry and bio chemistry is that while the former comprises all the reactions as well as chemical changes that take place in the body of living organisms; the latter comprises the study of the reactions that take place outside only. Since it studies the chemical activities inside a living body, it proves to be very beneficial to human race.
BSc Biochemistry: Personal Attributes required
You need to have inquisitive attitude, determination and keen observation. Also, you must be prepared to do hard work and possess lots of patience. Since this field is mostly associated with research work, then it gets essential that you have a team spirit and ready to work as a part of a team.
Careers in B.Sc. Biochemistry
Because of recent advances in biochemistry and biotechnology, many new professions have been created for biochemistry majors. Those who stop at the BS degree often find themselves working as technicians in a variety of industries, but for those who go on for their MS or PhD, many more opportunities become possible.
- Research Assistant: A research assistant works in the area of biochemical research and development as part of a team. They may investigate new genetic tests, be involved in genetic engineering or cloning, or help with the development of new drugs or drug protocols,
- Clinical Research Associate: Clinical research associates design and implement clinical research projects such as a new drug protocol or the use of a new virus for gene therapy. They may travel to the various field sites where the clinical trials are being conducted to coordinate and or supervise the trials.
- Technical Writer: Anyone who has ever read a poorly written technical manual realizes the importance of a good technical writer. A technical writer in the biochemical world edits and writes operating procedures, laboratory manuals, clinical protocols, and so on.
- Biostatistician: Biostatisticians are statisticians who work in health related fields
- Biochemical development engineer: Biochemical development engineers take the biochemical process developed in the laboratory and scale it up through the pilot plant stage to the full production plant.
Top institutes for BSc Biochemistry courses
- A.A Arts and Science College, Chennai
- A.D.M college for women, Chennai
- Annai Theresa College of Arts and Science
- Apollo arts and Science College
Eligibility: You must have passed 10+2 from a reputed school or education institution and with subjects such as biology/botany/zoology/chemistry/microbiology/mathematics
Admission procedure: Specific to institute’s rules and regulations
Fee: Ranges between 20,000 to 4 lacs for three years